Sunday, February 10, 2008

My Monkey's Three!

Today we are celebrating my niece's third birthday. Neve's actual birthday was on February 8th but her mommy and daddy were out of town on business so she thinks her special day is today. One of the benefits of being three: you can celebrate your birthday late, early, or every day and think that it is perfectly normal.

I made the card pictured above for the little nut. Couldn't resist posting the pic of EC with the finished product, she looks angry and that's because I kept calling her name trying to get her to look at the camera and she, like her cousin Neve, isn't a fan of the paparazzi (aka moi snapping pictures) - this dirty look was the closest she came to posing. I do like the way the light fell on the card though. I forgot how much I love rub-on transfers! I enjoyed crafting with them when I was a kid and found out last night that I still feel oddly satisfied after applying them even as an adult - hey, I never claimed to be 'normal'.

Miss. Neve is my most favourite little girl on earth. I fell in love with my monkey the first day I laid eyes on her - my bro John tricked us into thinking the adoption had been delayed and that we needed to sign paperwork to get things back on track. When we got to the house he handed each of us a portfolio with the 'paper work' inside and we opened it up to see photos of Neve for the first time. Tears flowed freely that day and everyone gushed about how cute she was, I was smitten and eyed those pictures every day after that until the next shots were posted on John's blog following Gotcha day.

November 11th 2005 was the day Neve arrived in Canada and the day I held her for the first time. It is hard to believe that Neve has been part of my life for just a few short years, it seems like she has been a part of my heart for much longer than that. I smother her in hugs and kisses every time I see her and the smile that takes over all of her little features when she sees me melts my heart. Neve is growing up so fast and has become one of the most beautiful, strong willed, loving, talkative little people I know. My life has certainly been enriched by Neve's existence - I love you my little monkey! Happy Birthday Neve!

4 comments:

tanzi said...

Hmmm, Neve is beautiful, loving and talkative...now who else does that sound like? Just proves you don't need the same blood to share aspects of the soul. :)

Great pic--my feline friend looks like she did that day I tried to braid her toe hair.

NIce card, too, craft mistress!
hugs,
me xxx

Gingham Skies said...

What a sweet way of putting it Tanya, "sharing aspects of the soul" - I love it.

Funny you mention the toe hair braiding, I thought the exact thing when I first saw the picture! Too funny.

Lois said...

I don't know why I watch that Gotcha video...it makes me cry everytime....and I was there to view the actual event. Anyway, great blog J. Well done! I am going to find a box of kleenix now.
Love,
The Mommie and Grammie to Neve

Gingham Skies said...

Mom, I cried like a baby when I watched it on Sunday, kept having to hit pause so I could run and snag more tissue. John did a fabulous job on the videos.