Friday, November 2, 2007

Achy Eyeballs


My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult was a gripping novel. I had a hard time putting it down--it caused my eyeballs to ache from small print overload and too many tears. The ending completely stunned me. I was so surprised I actually flipped back a page to reread the 'shocking scene' just to be sure I was understanding things properly. I was and wow. Fabulous ending to a fabulous book.

Oddly enough I was in the middle of this fabulous find when I heard the term "Cord Blood Bank" on the radio. This was the first I had heard of storing your baby's umbilical cord blood. The cord contains loads of stem cells and proper storage means the ability to access life saving cells for your child if they ever need them. With the amount of focus on stem cell research today, the chances of major advances and improvements in the use of stem cells is certain. If you could store a double of each of your child's organs 'just in case' wouldn't you? This is the closest you can come to doing so at this point in time.

For those of you who are thinking HUH? Check out the Cord Blood Bank of Canada. It's a crazy world we live in!

No comments: