Friday, October 12, 2007

Thai it cuz it's delish!

The first night I began to really search out blogs was the night I stumbled upon one of my absolute favorites: Posie Gets Cozy. I wish I could have just a tiny bit of Alicia's lovely style. I love her pics, the set up of her blog, her beautiful creations, the way she writes, I could go on and on: she's fabulous! Some people just have a knack for putting things together in a way that is perfectly perfect.

I found this wonderful blog accidentally. I was actually looking for a green curry recipe and Google eventually led me to Posie Gets Cozy where I found a recipe that sounded and looked amazing! And that ladies and gentlemen the point of this post: after 7 months of visiting the recipe and thinking to myself "I should make that," I finally did it. Thank you Alicia for sharing Susie's Green-Curry Shrimp recipe with us! It was a hit with my girl Rebecca - she was home for Thanksgiving weekend and friday was our catch up night. It was the perfect dish for a girls night in.


Susie's Green-Curry Shrimp

1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 large shallot, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced (no ribbing please! — red parts only)
1 head broccoli florets
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and divined (used chicken instead - one less purchase)
1 Japanese eggplant, sliced then cut into quarters (left out - not at my grocery store)
2 cans light coconut milk
1 T. green curry paste
1 c. frozen peas
1 small can bamboo shoots (julienned)

I actually halved the recipe because only two of us were eating; there were lots of leftovers!
Next time I would add a wee bit more green curry paste and some red pepper flakes; I like the spice! Served it over jasmine rice and YUM YUM! The pad thai that you see on the plate was certainly nothing to brag about - it was a boxed mix by Thai something or other (i can't remember the name but I'll check at the grocery store and post later) - Rebecca liked the noodles but I wasn't happy with it at all. I prefer the 'scratch' recipe I use from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry. It's delish and pretty easy to throw together. Next time I'll be more ambitious and make that pad thai along with the curry - I was saving time on friday and unfortunately I tasted the time saver. Oh well, nothing a bit of red wine couldn't cure.

Seeing Rebecca was wonderful! I miss her so much and I wish there were less miles between us. It hurts less now knowing that she is across the country than it did in the beginning (thankfully! heart ache is no fun) but it still blows. I have given up feeling sorry for myself to spend that energy feeling happy for her - she is an amazing woman and one of the women in my circle who I admire most - Vancouver is extremely lucky to have her and she is thrilled to be there so who the hell am I to rain on her parade. No pun intended (rain, vancouver... get it?)

I really do have a jawdropping circle of women in my life, in looks, personalities and abilities... but that I will save for another post. I still need to talk turkey and babies!!

not now though - next study break.

No comments: